Wow- what a difference a day will make! Funny how one day you are in the cultural mecca of the world and the next day you are back in your familiar little town, boasting of a Wal-Mart and Lowe's for all your shopping pleasures; it seems strange and almost dreamlike that you could have ever experienced what you just did.
That old adage "I love New York" is ingrained in our very souls now- I mean really, how could it not be so! We miss Fairway, the beloved and busy grocery store that has more amazing delights crammed into one small building, than the entire town of Warrensburg. Gone are the days of gourmet cheese- sorry Joe, no more Gietost and Dutch Parrano!
Getting behind the wheel of the van was another experience- the kids were flipping out about our driving, which they seemed to think was rather crazy, because when you drive down your neighborhood road and there is a mailbox or a trash can- they think that you are going to hit everything. Whatever! This is from children very comfortable riding in buses, taxis, and subways, with blaring horns and cut corners, swerving and all manor of less that desirable tactics. I was shocked and stunned at their reaction- perhaps they were just looking for the same thrill!
We had been back a couple of days when Eli came to the stark realization that we were not returning to our previous home! He asked one night when we were going to go back to our "white house", he had enough of the camping out. When I told him that someone else lives there now, he was devastated and broke down into sobs. Bless his heart, this particular transition has been the most difficult for him! He is doing well now, we have gotten a couple boxes of his toys and some of our Christmas decorations out- so we are good! That was the kids one request when we got back, was to have our tree up and make it feel like Christmas here. We really enjoyed the festive feeling in NYC and had to appease them somehow! So now we have a tree and some garland and a couple of chairs and a fold out table, some nice air mattresses from friends and we are good to go! This is the week of retrieving our belongings and purging all unnecessary items! Everyone should live in NYC for at least a few months to see how maximum living can be done with minimal belongings! One great lesson for the Nielsen family!
6 comments:
AAAHHH Change and Children, no "How To" books on that one! I am glad you are now closer to us! I think we will however skip the living in NY thing though, I might go into some kind of shock---coming from the booming town of Rigby, we can neither boast Walmart or Lowes. We do however have a grocery, 3 gas stations several banks and 2 stoplights!
I am glad you are safe!
Welcome back! I wish you the best holiday season, I feel your pain with the air mattresses, I have gotten to know the sleepless nights on an air mattress while visiting up north. Good luck with the transition. What an experience, I can imagine going through withdrawal after something so amazing. The kids in the car sound like me when Clint is driving. Crazy stuff. Love you guys.
I've been thinking of you and wondering how the transition was coming along...I'm definitely feeling a girl's wknd. coming on and you? Carrie and I have tossed up the idea in spring or so -- your thoughts?? Take care!
I wish you could have your Girls' Weekend at my house. We could show you a great time. To "The Bow Lady": We've got you beat. New Harmony has a church and a tiny post office. That's it! No gas station, no grocery, no banks, no stoplights. This morning while walking my dogs up the canyon I became aware of the coyotes having a party. They were howling on two sides, back and forth. I love small towns but I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE visiting the big cities. I don't think you can ever get your fill of NYC but we'll try with a quick visit to SLC this week.
Welcome home!
You'll adjust to small-town life soon enough.
Drop me a line and let me know where to send your Christmas card.
We are so glad to have your lovely family back! It was GREAT to see you all on Sunday, and all in Primary! How fun! Anyway, I'm sure it was a great time and experience for y'all to go up to NY but don't do it again!! We missed you!
Post a Comment