Friday, October 3, 2008

U.S.S Intrepid

Yesterday we had a pleasurable opportunity viewing the re-docking of the U.S.S Intrepid. We have a great view from our apartment. We didn't realize just how close to it we are located. It will open back up to the public on Nov. 8th, at which time they will have a fireworks display- again a great view from our windows. I am actually very interested in going to see everything at the museum- how cool to explore this portion of history first hand.



There was so much taking place on the Hudson yesterday- first with the departure of the Science Barge from our Pier, then to the festivities of the Intrepid; the river was packed. The kids loved the patriotic sprays of water and all the different vessels crowding around the massive specticle, all of the helicopters buzzing around; it really was something to behold. We went down to the pier to get a better view, however, it turns out that it was better from 20 stories up!
The kids always have a good time on the pier and we took the opportunity for P.E. while we were out and about. It is certainly starting to cool down here and the breeze was chilly, but wonderfully refreshing. So for all of those who have commented on there not being enough photos of me, I have tried to make an effort to post some this last little while- not sure that it is necessary, but there you have it!

6 comments:

The homestead said...

How are you ever going to go back to Missouri?

Lynne said...

LOVE that photo of you on the bench outside! I'm still so jealous of all that you're seeing and doing. Ditto to the harkness family question...can't Joe do some other work out there for a while??

Nielsen Family News said...

We can never leave!!!! Not sure about going back to Missouri, but we are determined to have a good attitude about it- we do have a place to rent though, so we know that we will have somewhere to go! That helps on the whole return plan; a place to live goes a long way.

Kalie said...

I was reading my friends blog about her life in NYC... and halfway through this post http://www.slicesoflight.com/emilykate/?p=405 she talks about about going to this apple orchard. It looks fabulous! We're looking to pick some apples this weekend with your parents. Its gonna be great! We'll pick some on behalf of you guys!

Blondie said...

I read about the Intrepid on the news and my first thought was "I bet Linda went to watch."

The way you are drinking in every moment of your adventure there is awesome. Your kids are going to look back on this fondly for the rest of their lives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture of you. I am so glad you are having a great time and soaking in everything that you come in contact with. I agree that your kids are going to look back on this experience for many many years.