Sunday, August 19, 2012

We Are Alive

This is our favorite image from Joe's work- it is on a time saver sander.

I know it would seem that we have fallen off the face of the earth, but we really do still exist and we are tremendously happy to be all together again. It would be an understatement to say that things have been a little complicated over the last little while. But we are going along day by day and finding joy in the moment.

First day experiencing the beach while Zach and Kaija were at Youth Conference

The Brigg Niagra docked outside of the library

Presque Isle Beach 9
I love how Joseph and Zachary are doing the exact same thing- like father like son 
Kaija trying to keep Spencer from swimming off in the sunset- he loves WATER!

This kid was meant to live on the beach

Here are some things we have been noticing:
  • finding just the right house in a little amount of time is much harder than we wanted it to be
  • people don't want to rent with us because we have "too many children"- they haven't even met them, I am sure they would change their minds if they knew them
  • well...they might not Spencer has taken to making some ridiculously loud noises during the last few weeks
  • the right house for us right now is going to be a very tiny place
  • the taxes and fees and all the other little expenditures are alarming here
  • the clouds are amazing here all of the time
  • there are always beautiful sunsets as well
  • we love living so close to the beach/lake
  • even an hour at the beach relieves many stresses and worries
  • there are lots of crows and seagulls here
  • i love seeing sailboats- something about it just makes me happy
  • we really enjoy seeing all the different flora and fauna around us and I spotted a Ginko tree just down the street from where we are staying- talk about happy!
  • we are having fun meeting new people
  • we are missing all of our friends and family (though Skype is a great way to stay connected- perhaps Facetime in the near future as well)!
  • the traffic on Peach Street is hideous- notoriously and accurately called Peach Jam
  • the checkout lines anywhere take considerably longer to get through- I am not certain why this is the case, but we have made note at nearly every retail location we have been to, who knew!
  • we love/hate living with friends- love getting to know people on a more intimate level/ hate being a burden on others and living out of a suitcase and our cars
  • we like having a dollar movie theater here- wish we could choose what films played there though
  • we feel sad to not have Costco closer
  • we feel happy to have everything else closer
  • people now believe that Joseph did indeed have a wife and 5 children
  • our children love television- which is why we will never have it!!!!!! There has been a lot of time wasting going on, but I can't blame them.
  • I can find my way around really well- thanks to 8 months of studying the area via google maps
  • even though I have studied the area so well, I still get all turned around in the area near the house we are in the process of purchasing- it's very strange

4 comments:

Kalie said...

it looks absolutely beautiful! What a grand adventure! When you guys get your "small" house, you'll have to post all of your genius ideas for making the most of tiny spaces. We're looking to maximize our 750 sqft.and could use all the suggestions anyone has :D Good LUCK!

Lynne said...

congrats on making it and loving it for the most part!! You have such a good attitude and outlook on things Linda. Hopefully we can come through and see you during our late spring/early summer eastern us trip! (fingers crossed that the trip will actually happen) will you post pics of the new house??

julie babcock said...

I'm glad to hear your still alive:) Living close to the beach and lake sounds wonderful! So glad you have your family together for the adventures there. It rained here yesterday and today and the grass is already greener. Miss you my friend:(

Elise said...

LOVE that you are all still alive. I was HOPING you were all together again. I WISH you lived near me because I would LOVE to have you live WITH me! I love your children and still miss you, Joe and them often. Keep the posts coming! Can't wait to see pictures of your new home! Sending love across the miles!