Monday, September 13, 2010

Bringing Home Baby


Welcoming
 Spencer Owen Karl Nielsen
September 4th 2010

9 lbs 15.1 oz

I have felt very fortunate to have had a very easy pregnancy, thank heavens because I am feeling a little older now!  It has made all the difference in the world to have the other children old enough to take care of themselves and help with the household responsibilities, so for the sake of sanity, a few years goes a long way! Not only that but they are all very helpful with the baby too!

Everything worked out just fine and even mostly according to the "plan". We had a smallish window of opportunity to get him here, since Joseph had only 4 days to be here.  (He has been and is now in Roanoke Virginia installing an organ at St. John's Episcopal Church.  We hope to have him home by the end of the month!)  Spencer was a little more stubborn about his arrival time as I spent all day Friday sitting around with the maximum amount of Pitocin allowed; hoping for it to be of short duration, and all that time he was just staying very cozy in his domicile and was not interested in budging.  

We got a little worried when Gale, the midwife, laid out our options around 5pm before her shift ended: go home and come back in a few days on your own, or later when Connie, the other midwife, came there was talk of a C-section- neither of those options were in the "plan" so we called the kids and our families and asked for them to offer up some prayers in our behalf.
God does answer prayers!

Not too long after that things finally started to progress.  We had the great blessing to have our friend Dr. Crook be the anesthesiologist for said event; he is a master of his craft and we had a great time chatting periodically through the day. Joe grew up with Shawn in So. Jordan and we have luckily ended up here in the Burg together!  Spencer held on just long enough to not be born on the 3rd, he was born at 12:26 a.m., he had hair, curly dark brown hair!! Unheard of in our little family- hopefully he will keep it! 

Life is really good, everyone has taken such good care of us and offered to help with everything.  We have learned a lot about patience and how to be happy when hard things come in our path.  I think we have done pretty well, but we certainly couldn't do it without the constant outpouring of blessings from the Lord and wonderful family and friends who buoy us up and sustain us in all circumstances!


10 comments:

The homestead said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations! I'm so happy he's here safely and everything went well.

Emily Lurker said...

Congratulations!!! Oh, he is so cute. I am so glad that he arrived in the time slot.

Lynne said...

ADORABLE Linda!!! Boy or not he really is a beautiful baby, eh??? Hugs to you!!

Blondie said...

So beautiful! Glad things went well . . .eventually!

nicokekeematipili said...

Linda!

nicokekeematipili said...

Linda Spencer is absolutely adorable. I hope he is good company at night while Joe is gone! let me just go ahead and through some ZZZZZZZ's at ya... I'm sure your needing them :)
love ya and hopefully one day I'll get to meet little man.

Holly Sanders said...

what a sweet baby. I'm so happy for you!

Jen said...

He is just darling. Congratulations to you all! Well done Linda!

Clements said...

Those pics are fabulous!!! What a cutie.

judi said...

So Beautiful! What a sweet boy! Glad it worked out in the end and Joe was able to be there. Glad he's home for a little bit too. I can't wait to see you all, but our baby boys will be walking by then - we definitely live too far away! Take care!